The parish of
|Padstow, ©2004, Charles Winpenny
|Padstow, ©2000, Charles Winpenny
|Top photograph: Padstow 2009, © Malcolm McCarthy
The parish of Padstow is located on the west bank of the River Camel approximately 12 miles northeast of Newquay and includes the stretch of coastline from Stepper Point west to Harlyn Bay. Now a popular tourist destination, the town of Padstow has long been economically significant as a fishing port, lying in a sheltered position about 2 miles inland from the open sea, and having the largest harbour on the north coast of Cornwall, although the presence of the Doom Bar, a dangerous sand bar at the approach to the harbour, has made it a notorious area for shipwrecks. The town is well known for its "Obby ‘Oss" (Hobby Horse) festival which starts on May Eve and may have had its origins in the Celtic festival of Beltane.
The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Padstow is Jennifer Maxwell, who can be contacted at .
Jennifer maintains a website for the parish here.
For information about, and contact details for, the current town council please see this website.
Contact details for the church can be found by searching here.
Information can be found at COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.
For further Parish Register information, please see our online searchable database (C-PROP), GenUKI (link above) and the LDS website, Library section. The C-PROP parish coverage page is here.
Extracts from the following are available-
For further information, see GenUKI.
1. Voters Lists:
2. Apprenticeship Indentures:
||19 Feb 1725, James HARRIS to Clement MORRISH
||7 Aug 1827, Jane ALLINGTON to William HAWKE
||15 Aug 1794, Phillip DOCTON to Charles PHILLIPS of Minver
||7 Aug 1827, Richard BRENTON to Anna Maria HILLYAR
||16 May 1826, Eliza HARRIS to Matthew COUTENAY
||17 Mar 1829, John TRESCOWTHICK to James MARTYN
||16 May 1826, Mary HARRIS to Thomas Rowe BREWER
||6 Jul 1830, Charlotte LAHEY to Charles PRIDEAUX BRUNE, Rev.
||3 Oct 1826, Jane ALFORD to Henry MITCHELL
||6 Jul 1830, John WATERS to Sampson TALLACK
||3 Oct 1826, Michael FIELDING to John RAWE
||30 Mar 1838, James GRIGG to Robert GRIGG
||14 Nov 1826, Samuel ELLERY to Thomas TREMAINE
2. Bastardy Bonds, Filiation Orders etc: many also name local J.P.s, Churchwardens and / or Overseers of the Poor.
- a Bond, dated 10 January 1718, naming Charity ROUNSEVALL of this parish.
- a Bond, dated 23 March 1729, naming Jane RAWLING of this parish.
- a Bond, dated 18 June 1756, naming Jane HATTAM of this parish.
- an Examination, dated 29 May 1766, naming Jenepher PEARSE of this parish, and a Warrant for the arrest of Hugh HAWKINGS.
- a Warrant, dated 20 April 1767, naming Mary PETTIGREW and Henry TAYLOR.
- an Order after Appeal, dated 3 October 1769, naming Elizabeth KENDALL and John HAWKE the Younger.
- an Order, dated 10 June 1773, naming Mary ROSEVEAR and Thomas CHAPMAN the younger.
- an Examination and an Order, dated 12 March 1776, naming Mary SANDREY/SONDREY and Edward KNIGHT the younger, labourer.
- a Bond, dated 3 February 1777, naming Elizabeth DOCTON of this parish.
- an Order, dated 8 March 1780 (20th year of the reign of George III), naming Elizabeth HARRESS and William PEARCE, apprentice.
- a Bond, dated 11 February 1790, naming Elizabeth RETALACK and Francis BREWER.
- an Order, dated 10 April 1792, and a subsequent Discharge, naming Joyce CLEMAS, Thomas HORSWELL and William HORSWELL the Elder.
- an Order, dated 21 October 1797, naming Ann HARRY and Thomas NICKLES/NICHOLLS.
- a Bond, dated 29 July 1802, naming Elizabeth WILLIAMS of this parish.
- a Bond, dated 24 September 1812, naming Ann EDYVEAN of this parish.
- an Order, 3 October 1826, naming Maria WILLIAMS and William BRENTON.
- a Bond, dated 4 March 1828, naming Blanch COURTENAY and William Kent PETER.
- a Bond, dated 12 March 1828, naming Maria BOYDE and John STRIBLEY.
- an Order, dated 30 September 1828, naming Susannah COCK of this parish.
- an Order, dated 8 December 1829, naming Maria WILLIAMS and James WENDRON.
- an Order, dated 5 January 1830, naming Margaret SLAWSON and William Hooper ELLIOTT
- an Order, dated 29 March 1831, naming Elizabeth ELLIOTT and Henry TILTMAN, mariner.
- an Order, dated 5 April 1831, naming Jane ROSEVEAR and Thomas WILLIAMS.
- an Order, dated 21 June 1831, naming Mary Ann RAYMOND and William Gummow WILLIAMS.
- an Order, dated 14 February 1832, naming Sarah POLLARD and Francis HELLYAR.
- an Examination, dated 27 April 1832, naming Jane DELBRIDGE of this parish, and a Warrant for the arrest of Joseph TREGILGUS.
- an Order, dated 28 August 1832, naming Leah MAY of this parish.
- an Order, dated 9 October 1832, naming Peggy Hawken BREWER and Gregory CHAPMAN.
- a Filiation Order, dated 5 March 1833, naming John TALLICK and Charity COURTIS.
- an Account from the parish officers, dated 1833, mentioning a Bastardy Order served on Captain HUGHES, BREWER a lunatic and correspondence about the widow of Daniel STONE.
- a Warrant, dated 26 November 1833, for the arrest of Silas John Parker NANCE, in connection with a Bastardy Order naming Elizabeth WILLIAMS.
- a Filiation Order, dated 26 November 1833, naming Betsy COWLING of this parish.
- a Warrant, dated 26 November 1833, naming Mary Ann NANCE of this parish.
- a Petty Session Order, dated 9 September 1840, naming Jane BILLING of this parish.
3. Settlement Papers:
||10 Mar 1580, John SWIMNER
||22 Sep 1804, Martin WITHELL
||15 Jul 1587, John SWIMER (non-cupative)
||29 Apr 1807, Charles PETER
||15 Apr 1592, Jane VIELL
||4 Jan 1813, Richard NANCE
||15 Dec 1598, John JUELL (non-cupative)
||4 Aug 1827, Betty Blake PETER
||24 Jul 1654, Hugh LEVERTON
||24 May 1836, Vernon COLLINS
||8 Jul 1657, Thomas MARTIN/MARTYN
||12 Feb 1839, Martyn RICHARDS
||4 Dec 1748, William BILLING
||29 Oct 1842, Lydia ROSE
||25 Jul 1751, James SALTER
||24 Sep 1846 and probate for estate of James HARRIS
||18 Mar 1755, John SPEARE
||13 Aug 1847, John OKE
||4 Dec 1761, Francis PETER
||7 Jul 1749, John TOM
||25 Feb 1776, John BLAKE
||21 Dec 1850, Samuel WITHELL
||9 Apr 1789, Joan BLAKE
||6 Dec 1913, Albert REYNOLDS
||14 Jun 1791, Dr. Thomas PETER
5. Accounts, Invoices etc:
- Two bills/invoices regarding gas supplies, dated 24 May 1869 and 9 Mar 1870.
- An account for KESTELL of Trethillick, dated 23 Mar 1895.
- An Account Book for New Street Dairy, dates from 1892-98. The dairyman was Richard ROLLING and he appears to have doubled as the local jeweller, clock and watch repairer.
- dated 12 November 1519 and mentioning John KESTELL, Jacob KESTELL, Henry JEFFREY, John VYELL, Thomas HYKKS, Thomas LOURE(?, John RONALD, John CAWBSDLE, Jacob DIER, Richard WHYTE and Richard BAWDYN.
- dated 27 Dec 1813 and naming Elizabeth PETER of Padstow.
- dated 28 Dec 1813, similar to (b).
- A document concerning right to property, dated 1827-8. Names mentioned include William and Catherine HAMBLY.
7. Miscellaneous Documents:
- A list of deaths from cholera in 1832.
- A poster, dated 22 Apr 1837, regarding May Day 'celebrations'. Contains the names of several inhabitants of the town.
- Correspondence regarding the estate of the late Mrs Eliz. PETER, dated 29 Aug 1840.
- Two documents referring to the employment of Henry MAY, born Padstow c. 1869
- A letter to the Rev. NUGENT, dated 19 May 1900, concerning a donation by Queen Victoria to the Padstow Lifeboat Disaster fund.
The website for Padstow Town Council can be accessed here.
For information regarding History, Population, and much more, visit GenUKI.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Padstow at http://maps.google.co.uk/, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.
St Issey, Little Petherick, St Merryn and (across the river estuary) St Minver.
Padstow - Pocket Images by Malcolm McCarthy. ISBN: 9781845881672.
- Padstow is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume III by Davies Gilbert, William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in 1838. Also downloadable as a pdf from here.
- The Cornwall Register by John Wallis, A.M. F.S.S., then Vicar of Bodmin, printed 1847. If the in-built search produces no results, use the index pages (474-476) to find your parish of interest. Tables of statistics and other data can be found at the beginning of the book, starting at page n9.
- Phillimore's Marriages Vol VI transcripts including Padstow (transcribed and in our database)