CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive

The parish of


Cornwall Online Parish Clerks

The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Merther is Michael Lightfoot, who can be contacted by Email

The area is now within that covered by St Michael Penkevil Parish Council, for which contact details can be found here.
Contact details for the church can be found by searching here.



Information can be found at COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.


For Parish Register information, please see our online searchable database (C-PROP) which is updated frequently. The parish coverage page is here.


For information, see GenUKI or visit the University of Leicester's Historical Directories website.


Bastardy Orders & Examinations: These often name the Churchwardens & Overseers of the Poor for the parish.

  1. dated 7 Jun 1740, naming John FUGLER and James FUGLER of this parish.
  2. dated 3 May 1743, naming George RUNDELL of this parish.
  3. dated 22 May 1750, mentioning John TREGILGAS, thatcher of this parish.
  4. dated 26 Apr 1764, bond and order naming John PEARCE, the younger.
  5. dated 28 Jan 1801, naming Charles ARSCOTT, yeoman, and Thomas JAMES, yeoman.

Settlement Documents:

  24 Mar 1729, Dorothy SPRY (& Probus) 26 Jan 1755, John FRANCIS (& Probus)
  30 Mar 1730, John & Mary BILKEY (& Probus) 6 Feb 1756, Mary JAMES (& Probus)
  23 Jun 1739, Lewis HALLAMORE & family (& Probus) 19 Jun 1769, Peter & Margaret MEDLEN
  28 May 1753, Michael & Grace BONETTA (& Probus) 1 Jan 1776, John, Dorothy ARGALL & family (& Probus)
  26 Jan 1755, George TREMAIN (& Probus) 2 Nov 1779, Jane DINGLE & children (& Probus)


  7 Apr 1652, John LEY 18 Aug 1795, George HUGO
  6 Jul 1655, Richard EDWARDS 11 Dec 1805, John WALKEY
  7 Nov 1657, Peter WILLIAMS 30 Mar 1807, Juliana MUGFORD, proved 1853
  6 Mar 1659?, John DABB 16 Apr 1808, Benjamin HIGMAN, proved 1821
  Apr 1751, Hannah GERRANS 10 Jun 1824, James CURGENVEN
  6 Dec 1769, Petter/Peter HUGO, proved 1776 7 Jun 1827, Jane BONE. proved 1832
  19 Jan 1788, John PEARCE  

The Wheel Inn, Tresillian is included in a pdf file of 19th century billboards, naming businesses from several parishes and some of their proprietors.

For further information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.


For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.

For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.

To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Merther Cornwall at, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.


St Clement, St Erme, Probus, Lamorran and St Michael Penkevil.


Merther (Merthyr) is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume III by Davies Gilbert, William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in 1838. Also downloadable as a pdf from here.