The parish of
The church was dedicated to St. Sancredus in 1321; there are still some very ancient remnants existing of earlier times in the current church, including a few original bench ends. The Grylls and Buller families have existed in the parish since before the church was dedicated. Court, long the seat of the Grylls family, and barton of the manor of Lanreath, is situated near the church; while the manor of Botelett is equally historic. Fursdon, Trewen, and Trecan are also located in the parish, along with the only village, the Churchtown, which has 3 fairs each year. A National School was established in the Churchtown in 1868.
Herodsfoot was created from the Northern portion of the parish in 1851. There was a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at Mount Pleasant, and a Bible Christian chapel at Burze.
The remains of a Roman road still exist; a large barrow extends from Tregarrick in Pelynt, past Tresawson and Pelventon in this parish, 7 miles in all, to Looe . It once stood seven feet high, and twenty feet wide at a medium. This gave rise to a popular local saying "A giant, having nothing to do, Made a great hedge from Leerin to Looe." It's commonly called "Giant's Hedge".
The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Lanreath is Amelia Bray, who can be contacted by Email.
See this website for details of the current Parish Council.
Contact details for the church can be found by searching here.
Information can be found at COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.
For Parish Register information, please see our online searchable database (C-PROP) which is updated frequently. The parish coverage page is here.
An analysis of 19th Century burials as conducted and recorded by the Revd. Richard Buller.
For information, see GenUKI or visit the University of Leicester's Historical Directories website.
A list of available Wills and Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered from here using the appropriate reference. For those marked as NA enter the reference in the search box on this page and follow the onscreen instructions.
||18 Mar 1607, Wyllyam HARRYS
||27 Oct 1750, Mary BURT
||23 Jul 1611, John HOBB, the younger
||27 Apr 1751, John CORNISH
||27 Oct 1646, John BLAKE, proved 1653
||9 Feb 1815, Richard BULLER, Revd, proved 1827
||5 Jan 1652, Joane BLAKE
||24 Jun 1846, William SEARLE
||15 Feb 1746, Mary WILLS
For more information regarding History, Population, and much more, visit GenUKI.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Lanreath at http://maps.google.co.uk/, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.
St Veep, Boconnoc, St Pinnock, Herodsfoot (post-1851), Duloe and Pelynt.
Lanreath is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume II by Davies Gilbert, William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in 1838 (page 392). Also downloadable as a pdf.