CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive

The parish of


Cornwall Online Parish Clerks

There is no OPC (Genealogy) for this parish. If you would like to volunteer, please contact our coordinator, Diane Donohue, at .
Contact details for the current Parish Council can be found here.
Contact details for the church can be found by searching here.



Information can be found at COCP (the Cornwall Online Census Project), which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified, FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternative resources.


For Parish Register information, please see our searchable database (C-PROP) which is updated regularly, and GenUKI.  The C-PROP parish coverage page is here.


For information, see GenUKI or visit the University of Leicester's Directories website, which has many directories online to view for free.


A Clause from the Will of the Revd. William Beale, dating from 1757

Extracts from Parish Register:

These were transcribed from a register commencing 1799, but refer to both earlier and later centuries.

  1. Memoranda signed by John Torre and Nicholas Lodge, Rectors in the 17th Century.
  2. Memoranda regarding the inductions of William Wingate and Augustus Walsh, and the consecration of a new burial ground in 1905.
  3. Details of the administration of 3 charities, dated 1903 but concerning bequests from the 3 preceding centuries.
  4. List of Rectors from before 1272 until 1908.
  5. Extract from the Will of Richard Trevill Esq, dated 1647, regarding bequests to the inhabitants of St John, Maker and Rame parishes.

Voters Lists:

For 1851/52, 1852/53 & 1864/65


A list of available Wills and Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered from here using the appropriate reference.  For those marked as NA enter the reference in the search box on this page and follow the onscreen instructions.

  27 May 1609, Roger HARRY 15 Dec 1828, Rev William Andrew ROW
  16 Apr 1740, Margery/Margerry JOHNS 17 Oct 1835, Rev William ROW, proved 1843
  20 May 1816, Ann MAY 18 Sep 1853, Thomas KINGWELL


For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.

For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.

To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for St John at, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.


Antony, Maker, Millbrook (post-1867) and Rame.


  1. St John is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume II by Davies Gilbert, William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in 1838 (page 250). Also downloadable as a pdf.
  2. Heraldic Church Notes from Cornwall; containing the Heraldry and Genealogical Particulars on every Memorial in Ten Churches in the Deanery of East, by Arthur J. Jewers, F.S.A. Includes extracts from parish registers &c.