CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive
The parish of
is in the Hundred of Pydar and is a small inland parish surrounded by St Merryn, St Eval, Little Petherick, St Mawgan in Pydar and St Columb Major. The main villages are Churchtown, Rumford and Penrose. The Church is tucked away at the end of a lane that leads only to a 13th century Mill, and is surrounded by its Churchtown including the Victorian Rectory and a Schoolhouse built in 1853. There were Wesleyan Methodist and Bible Christian chapels in Rumford and a Bible Christian chapel in Penrose. This is predominantly a farming parish and, as with St Merryn, the land stayed within families for many generations
"The Book of St Ervan" by Moira Tangye is available from Halsgrove, Devon (www.halsgrove.co.uk). ISBN 1-84114-494-0. It is a must for those with families in St Ervan and contains over 250 photos and maps as well as a wonderful history of the parish from the point of view of those families who have lived there for 100s of years.
The OPC (Genealogy) for St Ervan is Tim Johnson who can be contacted by email. Please visit his website for further records and information about the parish.
For information about, and contact details for, the current parish council please see this website.
Information can be found at COCP (the Cornwall Online Census Project) which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and has been verified; FreeCen at Rootsweb, which has a very good search engine and information from COCP, as well as GenUKI, which has more reference information and alternate resources.
Many have been transcribed and are in our database, see the parish coverage page. To find records, please see our searchable database (C-PROP) which is updated frequently.
Please note that the St Ervan Bible Christian Circuit covers many more parishes than St Ervan.
See the University of Leicester's website of Historical Directories.
A list of available Wills and Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered from here using the appropriate reference. For those marked as NA enter the reference in the search box on this page and follow the onscreen instructions.
For an indenture, dated 1 Oct 1834, naming James HAWKEN, Joseph Hawken, Susannah HENWOOD, Thomas WHITFORD, Richard BINNY, Anthony BINNY, Richard VIVIAN and John DOWNING amongst others, click here.
An order of maintenance, dated 31 Mar 1841, naming Henry and Candy Brewer of this parish.
An 18th Century Charm/Spell prepared for Thamson LEVERTON.
For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.
For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.
For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.
To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for St Ervan at http://maps.google.co.uk/, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.