CORNWALL ONLINE PARISH CLERKS - helping bring the past alive

The parish of


is located on the road from Launceston to Camelford and Wadebridge, in the hundred of Lesnewth. It is rolling farmland, with light soil over rock. The chief crops are wheat, oats, and root crops. St. Kitt's hill, on the western side of the parish, is 985 feet above sea level. The rivers Camel and Inney arise here. Davidstow Moor adjoins Bodmin moor, and has an airfield, in use by small planes and a flying club. (to contact them, see link below) The village hall, near the creamery, was once the gymnasium for the airfield. The airfield ambulance station and mortuary has been a private workshop for a number of years. Today, "Dairy Crest" are the largest employers in the area.

There were Bible Christian and United Methodist Free chapels at Tremail and Trewassa; Tremail Chapel is still operational. The Church of England's St. David, which was rebuilt in the Early English style over the ruins of an older church, was paid for by Miss Pearse, of Launceston, in the late 1800's. It holds approximately 250 people. She also donated, in honour of her parents and their families, which had owned land in the area for centuries. In 1890, the lay rector, Michael Williams, Esq., contributed three stained glass windows to honour his father and sisters. The Vicarage residence and 26 acres of glebe was a gift of H.R.H. the Duke of Cornwall.

The parish register dates from 1709. In 1891, the population was 393.

Click thumbnails to enlarge
The airfield (1)
The airfield (2)
St. David's Church (1)
St. David's Church (2)
The East Window
The War Memorial
War Memorial Inscription (1)
War Memorial Inscription (2)
War Memorial Inscription (3)
School Memorial

Cornwall Online Parish Clerks

The Online Parish Clerk (Genealogy) for Davidstow is Mike Gabriel, who can be contacted by Email.
For information about (and contact details for) the current parish council, please see this website.
Contact details for the church can be found by searching here.



Please visit COCP (Cornwall Online Census Project), which is complete for 1841 to 1891 and validated, FreeCens at Rootsweb - both are free, searchable databases - or check GenUKI for other alternatives.


For Parish Register information and other resources, please see our searchable database (C-PROP) which is updated frequently or GenUKI. The C-PROP coverage page is here. A copy of transcriptions to 1900 is available to search at Camelford Library, closed Monday and Wednesday. Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, transcribed by the OPC, are also available in our searchable database.


Please visit the University of Leicester's Directories website, which has many directories online to view for free.


The local Flying Club has a website at

Voters Lists:

  1. 1851/52
  2. 1852/53
  3. 1856/57
  4. 1864/65


A list of available Wills and Probate Documents. Copies of those marked as CRO can be ordered from here using the appropriate reference.  For those marked as NA enter the reference in the search box on this page and follow the onscreen instructions.


  14 Apr 1596, Rauffe HONNYE Dec 1721, George HONEY (inventory of goods)
  30 Nov 1616, John HONYE 9 Dec 1738, Joan HONNEY, renunciation by William HONEY
  4 Jan 1657, John HUNNIE 12 Dec 1738, George HONEY (admin doc only)
  21 Apr 1705, John HUNNEY (inventory) 1 Jan 1835, John SHEER

For more information regarding history, population, etc., visit GenUKI.


For a zoomable and printable map of Cornwall please visit Cornwall Council’s mapping website. To see the Parish boundaries, click on the Layers Tab for Government Boundaries.

For maps and satellite images use Google Maps.

To enjoy a "walk" around this parish, search for Davidstow at, then drag the person icon from above the zoom commands and place it at a specific location on the map.



Minster, Lesnewth, St Juliot, Otterham, Treneglos, St Clether, Altarnun, St Breward, Advent and Lanteglos by Camelford.


  1. Davidstow is included in The Parochial History of Cornwall, Volume I by Davies Gilbert, William Hals, Thomas Tonkin, Henry Samuel Boase, originally published in 1838 (page n344). Also downloadable as a pdf.
  2. Phillimore's Marriages Vol I transcripts including Davidstow (transcribed and in our database)